Management by Example

From time to time we all look back on our careers and do an assessment. Today as I look back, I have to admit, I've been very fortunate. I say this because of the people who have helped me to grow and to be who I am today. I reflect on the retail store managers that taught me so much while I worked my way through high school, college and beyond. At that time these men and women were at the top of their game and many of them still are. The things that I learned were not pre-planned lessons, but rather a form of on the job training. It was their knowledge, personality and experience that they shared with me that taught me so much.

Last month, while on a retail consulting project, I was reminded of how important it is for every company to have solid management. On this particular project the general manager of the store never left his office except to go to lunch or leave for the day. During an interview he was demeaning and very critical of his staff. As a result, this store had major motivational issues. Now, I am not suggesting that every retail store manager must be a world-class motivational icon. However, I do believe that in order to be qualified to be in retail management, or any other form of management, you should possess some of the best qualities of a ships captain, coach and sometimes a parent. While in college I worked part-time for a large retail lumberyard chain. The stores general manager was a man named Larry. Larry was passionate about his store, his employees and customer service.

Management

Larry was among the top 10 highest producing store managers in the entire operation. Impressive on it's own, but what impressed me the most, and what was most likely the reason for much of his success, was Larry's management style. Larry did spend time in the office, but he roamed the store constantly. He had all the qualities of a championship coach. He would look out over the "retail field" and make note of what was not being executed properly. He wasn't the type to rake anyone over the coals. If he saw that our service counter was buried knee deep in customers, he would jump in and help out. Afterward he would help us realize that it wasn't about us....it was about the customer and their perceived wait time. In the best of ways a little situation like this was used to teach me to be proactive and keep the customer front and center. Larry made sure we all saw the people in our store as "our customers" and their shopping experience was paramount. He taught us the importance of good customer service. After all, happy customers come back. Through teaching and managing by example, Larry taught us all that the relationship between our coworkers and our customers was imperative to our success. Larry managed by example. His employees would follow him anywhere because of his demonstrated work ethic and respect for the people who worked for him.

Management by Example

I find the lack of a solid management quite often. Will it be lost forever? No, I don't think so. But I do strongly believe that retail store managers and owners alike need to review their management styles. In times of great change, your employees are looking to you for stability and strength. Teach them that good enough is not good enough, and show them how to become better employees and most of all better people. Be that example that they will remember.

Management by Example

Gary Petz - At Discovery-Based Retail we help retailers make more money. Visit our website and find out how

http://www.discoverdbr.com

[http://www.discoverybasedretail.com]